Early this june, I bought a cheap tablet, Allwinner a10 tablet for price about $100. The tablet is quite good despite very cheap though. HD videos running smoothly without lag, though it has performance issue when multitasking.
The tablet was installed with Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, it was reported to have 512 mb but somehow it only displayed 384 mb. After reading here and there in internet I found out some android build actually consumed the ram into the system thus, displaying only partial amount of the RAM. I’m disappointed and decided to look up for custom roms in internet.
Here are several roms I installed in the allwinner a10 and the problems:
- cm-9-20120831-UNOFFICIAL-a10.zip: wifi doesn’t work
- CM9-NIGHTLY-120804-A10.zip: no auto rotation, touch screen runs everywhere, extsd path error, hardware button missing functions
- cm9_elf2_20120915.zip: internet doesn’t work (always displays ‘not in range’)
- cm9_nightly_20120913.zip: touch screen doesn’t work
- cm9_elf2_20120922.zip: touch screen doesn’t work (fixed with aurora-v3_legacy-compatibility_v1.zip), extsd path error
(you could get all these roms and many others here)
After some research, I found out a guide posted on this forum of installing Jelly Bean on allwinner a10. I decide to give it a try, and now my cheap tablet is running with latest Jelly Bean. Quite nifty since most devices out there still waiting update from the official manufacturer.
Here’s how to install Jelly Bean CM10 in allwinner a10:
2. Go to CWM (hold both volume buttons and power before booting)
(Basically, you have to install any of unofficial CM9 build, and then upgrading to unofficial CM10 later. Don’t ask me why it has to be like that since I dont understand the technical aspects)
4. Install the gapps for Jelly Bean in CWM
5. Do the usual routine, format, wipe delvik cache, and fix permission
Now enjoy Jelly Bean in your cheap tablet!
Changing the DPI will cause bootloop!